Avoid the top 5 floor remodeling mistakes and get the beautiful, durable, and hard-wearing floor you deserve with Cypress Design & Build in Monterey, CA. Trying to do it yourself and save money by not using a general contractor may seem like an economical choice, but getting your new floor installed by a professional can actually save you time, money, and headaches in the long run.
Common Flooring Project Mistakes
Updating your tired flooring can enhance the visual appeal of your home as well as increase its value. However, improperly installed flooring, or flooring consisting of sub-par materials, can turn into a real nightmare.
- Purchasing Cheap Flooring Material. The adage, “You get what you pay for” might be a cliché, but it is spot on when it comes to flooring materials. Cheap quality flooring like some vinyl and carpet damages easily and won’t last nearly as long as durable and attractive materials like hardwood, bamboo, linoleum, and polished concrete. Lower quality materials are also prone to off-gas toxic chemicals, and they can continue to emit harmful substances for years.
- Underestimating The Budget. There is a lot more to a quality flooring project than just driving down to the nearest big box store and picking up a few boxes of material. In addition to the actual material cost, you need to factor in disposal costs for your old flooring and the cost of labor, which will include prep work, subfloor repair if necessary, underlayment installation, adhesive application, etc. A remodeling company will usually include these and any other anticipated costs in an estimate so that you don’t run into nasty financial surprises before the job is done.
- Selecting The “Wrong” Flooring Material. Trends come and go, like the groovy shag carpeting and avocado green linoleum of the 1970s. But some flooring never goes out of style, like quality hardwood floors and durable linoleum. Although there’s nothing inherently wrong with following a trend, you want to choose carefully to ensure that your floor will look fantastic for years, even decades, to come.
- Skimping On Installation. Many people want to save money by taking on DIY projects, but if you install your new flooring incorrectly, you will be wasting both time and money. Using the wrong adhesive, or not enough fasteners, leaving gaps, not matching patterns – such mistakes won’t just look bad; they could even void your flooring product warranty. Hiring a construction company means the right tools and processes will be followed, ensuring a quality installation that will be completed on time, with minimal errors.
- Rushing The Job. Trying to get any job done in a hurry almost guarantees that it won’t be done right. A quality installation of quality flooring should never be rushed. Depending on the job’s size – whether one room or multiple rooms, you should be prepared to have contractors in your home for several days and allow time for the unexpected.
Flooring Company In Monterey County
Are you looking to update your tired kitchen tile or install wood flooring in your bedroom and living areas? Or perhaps you have a bathroom remodel in mind. Cypress Design & Build has options for every room of your house.
- Tile Flooring
- Bamboo Floors
- Concrete Floors
- New Carpet
- Linoleum Flooring
- Wood Floors
- Laminate Floors
- Vinyl Flooring
- Cork Flooring
Leave The Hassle & Hard Work To Us
Cypress Design & Build is a remodeling company that offers services throughout Monterey County. Call one of our flooring experts to discuss your ideas, or make an appointment to visit our spacious showroom and let us help you get started on your path to a beautiful new floor.